History

History

Okahandja,derived from Otjiherero language meaning ” the place where the two rivers, Okakango and the Okamita, flow into each other to form one wide one

 1800 :  Namadic Heroros searching  for better grazing land arrived in Okahandja under the leadership of  chiefs Tjamuaha and Kahitjene

1827: Okahandja was renamed  ‘Schmelenverwachtung’ by first German Pastor called Heinrich Schmelen.

1830: Chiefs Tjamuaha and Kahitjene elabished themselves in Okahandja

1844: Okahandja is mentioned first time in History books when Rhenish Mission sent two missionaries, Hugo Han and Heinrich Kleinschmidt to do some church work.

1846: Gross Barmen centre was established after a hot spring was found

1850: August 23 is known as Bloodbath of Okahandja . Nama and Herero  people caught each other at a place called Moordkoppie .

1854: Jonker Afrikaaner moved to Okahandja where he later died.

1870: Rhenish Missionaries established the first school in Okahandja

1892: Wecke & Voigt business was established

1894: June 25th known as the official establishment date of Okahandja when Governor Leutwein established a Military station.

1895: Postal service was established by making use of camels

1896: First postoffice was established

1904: January 12th marks the Herero uprising against German Colonial occupation

1905: The former Rhenish mission school was reopened as Augustineum Training college on 9th November

1906: first Town Mayor Dr. Fock appointed

1907: Tobacco research station was established

1909: First Railway station was established

1932: Present Swimming pool was established

1940: The zoo park as a central place for all to observe various caged animals was originally opened.

1948 : South west Creamery became one of the biggest factories to be established

1952: Present Municipal Building were constructed

1962: The current Okahandja coat of arms was revised to reflect the unique vegetation encompassing the town hence the Garden town

1970: Von bach Dam was constructed and became the largest water supplies and purification centre to Okahandja and surrounding towns as far as Windhoek , It was completed in 1973

1979: Biggest factory of chair , desk and bed supplying mainly the government was reopened in Okahandja

1982: The official registration of all settlers at Otjiiwa farm.

1992: Josephat Tjinae , a school teacher by profession was elected as the first black Mayor of Okahandja.